[vlc] Streaming raw video - no mux support?

Neil Bertram neil at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Feb 4 04:36:50 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to transport a DV stream losslessly from a VLC capture box to
a pair of VLC encoding boxes (which then stream out in RTP in a few
different bitrates). I haven't yet found a way to do this yet...

With VLC's native TS mux for streaming, no libavcodec lossless video
codecs (huffyuv, snow, ffv1, ljpeg) can be transported, nor PCM audio
(the DV feed delivers s16l PCM).

I tried muxing with MP4, Ogg, etc, but had no success there either; VLC
won't mux in lossless codecs...

I also tried piping dvgrab output over netcat to the remote VLC
instances (feeding netcat into a fifo on the remote machines and then
opening it in VLC, trying both file:// and stream:// access modules),
but dvgrab kept getting angry because VLC was apparently not consuming
the pipe fast enough, so it considered its stdout to be blocked.

My current solution is a high-bitrate mpeg4/mp2a stream at 10mbit from
the capture VLC to the encoder VLCs, but I feel this is a bit wasteful
and lossy...

Any better ideas on how to accomplish this?

Neil