[vlc] Hi Guys will you be developing a version of Vlc for the iphone and the ipod touch please.

Michael Bender/MBP Michael.Bender at Sun.COM
Tue Feb 5 22:35:48 CET 2008

Arioch wrote:
>> What would be the point of putting Linux on an iPhone other than to
>> say that you did it?
>
> Native apps?

The iPhone SDK is supposed to come soon and allow us all to write
native apps for the iPhone. We'll see what Apple actually delivers.

> Multiple multimedia formats ?

If the SDK really is what it claims to be, then someone could port
VLC to the iPhone as a native app. The iPhone might not have enough
resources to support multiple different codecs and all the other
stuff that's in that 4GB or 8GB of memory though, and the CPU might
not be powerful enough to do a decent job of decoding. I guess it
depends if the SDK provides access to any native graphics libraries
that can do some of the heavy lifting (in hardware perhaps) to help
the codecs.

> After all why would one want ugly VLC instead of beautifull and so
 > applish QuickTime, already on iPhone ?

You don't really see QT when you use an iPhone, you see You Tube coming
in at H.264 in a dedicated You Tube viewer. There has been some talk
on an iPhone list that I am on that the reason that Apple has not yet
released other codecs or Flash support via Safari is because the
iPhone hardware itself would not be able to provide the user a good
experience, and since Apple is all about user experience, that makes
some sense. Of course, it's very likely that we will see an upgraded
iPhone later this year with a heftier CPU, more memory of all kinds,
and a faster cell network interface, so that will change things then.

> Though for me price seems to be too much to do this, and that was exactly
> my point. You would not want Linux on iPhone and there is no way to do
> native apps other than that.

See above Re: SDK. I have had my iPhone since late last year, and I
use it all the time for e-mail and calendar. I rarely watch video
on it, I use it as my iPod to listen to music and podcasts, and I
like that it just works seamlessly with my Mac. That's something that
you don't get with a Windows smartphone and you don't get with Linux.
I like my phone to be a tool that helps me get my job done, not
something that I have to code for so that it can do what I want so
that I can get my job done. In that sense, I am willing to live
with the compromises that an OS X-based iPhone provides since I
consider it like I do my toaster - I put bread in the toaster, press
the lever, and some minutes later, toast comes out. I don't have to
build the toaster from scratch every few days just so that I can
make a million variations of toast.

> PS: At least there is some reason for Linux on iPod - don't ask me
 > why, never liked iPods and do not have one with Linux or not.

Yes, I'm not really sure why people put Linux on an iPod other than
to say they did it and to hack around with it - nothing wrong with
that of course.

> However when one buys an Apple he pays for air, pays to say "I have
> genuine Apple!!!" So if one is not charmed by Apple he usually just can
> get the same hardware for better price. If anyone wants iPhone - he wants
> Apple and removing stock firmware will make it less Apple, will loose free
> that air that You paid for. If you are note charmed with Apple and ready
> to remove Mac OS from it - it would be better just to sart with other
> phone :-)

Yes, I agree. When you buy an Apple product, you're buying into a
culture and a user experience as well.

mike