[vlc] GUI feature request: Time remaining (or total duration)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Feb 11 04:01:52 CET 2008

Hello Ross and the ml,

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008, Ross Finlayson wrote :
> I love VLC, but one of the few things that annoys me about it is that
> - when playing a file - it's difficult to figure out how much time is
> remaining.  It is possible to find out the total duration of the
> clip, but only by selecting "Information" -> "Advanced Information"
> -> "General".  This is a pain in the ass.
>
> It would be really nice if VLC were to display not just how much time
> has elapsed, but also how much time is remaining.  Alternatively, it
> would be nice to have a more convenient way of finding out the total
> duration of a clip (when known).

In the next version of VLC? using Qt4 GUI, you have a different way of
showing the time.

It shows xx:yy/zz:tt in the statusBar. If the time is longer that one
hour, it shows xx:yy:zz/tt:mm:nn.
If you click on it, it shows remaining time instead of elapsed time.

If you double click on it, it opens the open the GOTOTime dialog in
order to skip easily.

If vlc doesn't know the total time, like in avi/http, it shows the
elapsed time only, and --:-- instead of total time.

I hope it fits what you want.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf