[vlc] The Wiki sucks, please update docbook

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Feb 29 08:19:57 CET 2008

   Hello,

Some people appear to have decided (I really don't remember this being
discussed here, but my memory is far from perfect) that we shall drop
Docbook and use the Wiki.

I am sorry, but I cannot agree. First wikis are prone to vandalism, second
wikis are prone to errors from people who think they're helpful, but are
actually doing wrong stuff, third it's a mess because nobody can/will
enforce a structure, forth, grepping the wiki sucks. In other words, it
takes more time to maintain the wiki than the fixed doc. Besides, nothing
forbids allowing trusted users to modify docbook if they feel like helping.

I am not sure if we've had vandalism, but I have definitely found pretty
big errors every time I've been there, and I definitely could not find any
logical organization. Also, last time I checked it was well behind docbook
in terms of content.

And in any case, I am totally not going to redo all the updates I have done
(thank you for telling me several weeks after I started updating docbook,
very nice).

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net