[vlc] QuickTime Acquisition support

Neil Bertram neil at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jan 3 03:30:14 CET 2008

Hi all,

I posted in the forum a few days about about this, but saw nothing back.

I'm trying to set up a professional broadcast TV (SDI feed) -> RTSP
solution on OSX, and have given up on the commercial solutions available
because their quality really isn't as good as VLC. Unfortunately VLC
doesn't support audio/video input on OSX via the QuickTime capture API,
so I've been stuck trying to loop video in from QuickTime Broadcaster in
a raw format and then transcode and output from VLC. This doesn't work
because VLC really doesn't like the RTP streams that QuickTime
Broadcaster generates (lots of errors about dropped frames and audio
buffer problems in current SVN).

So I'd like to work on native QuickTime capture support for VLC. It
seems the Mac is the last platform of the big 3 not to have capture
support.

I don't know much about the QuickTime API or VLC's input system, but
with some help (maybe from this list?) I could probably manage to
develop it.

Alternatively, if there's an existing VLC developer that thinks they
could do this more professionally or quickly than I can, I'm sure my
company would be more than happy to pay a bounty for it.

Any help?

Thanks,

Neil