[vlc] QuickTime Acquisition support

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 05:20:10 CET 2008

Neil,

VLC on Mac would become a truely awesome media swiss army knife if it
could acquire from standard QuickTime sources.  While I strongly
support your objective, I'm not skilled in the low-level programming
that this would require.

FWIW, Apple's QTKit doco and samples might show the way.
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/Conceptual/QTKitCaptureProgrammingGuide/Introduction/chapter_1_section_1.html>

VLC's mac developers are friendly and responsive. You might catch
their attention on the dev list:

I'll be happy to provide rigorous testing, when you need it.

George

On Jan 3, 2008 1:30 PM, Neil Bertram <neil at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I posted in the forum a few days about about this, but saw nothing back.
>
> I'm trying to set up a professional broadcast TV (SDI feed) -> RTSP
> solution on OSX, and have given up on the commercial solutions available
> because their quality really isn't as good as VLC. Unfortunately VLC
> doesn't support audio/video input on OSX via the QuickTime capture API,
> so I've been stuck trying to loop video in from QuickTime Broadcaster in
> a raw format and then transcode and output from VLC. This doesn't work
> because VLC really doesn't like the RTP streams that QuickTime
> Broadcaster generates (lots of errors about dropped frames and audio
> buffer problems in current SVN).
>
> So I'd like to work on native QuickTime capture support for VLC. It
> seems the Mac is the last platform of the big 3 not to have capture
> support.
>
> I don't know much about the QuickTime API or VLC's input system, but
> with some help (maybe from this list?) I could probably manage to
> develop it.
>
> Alternatively, if there's an existing VLC developer that thinks they
> could do this more professionally or quickly than I can, I'm sure my
> company would be more than happy to pay a bounty for it.
>
> Any help?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Neil

George Bray, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.