[vlc] Request for information

Just an Illusion jai4forum at yahoo.fr
Tue Jul 1 18:59:23 CEST 2008

Hi,

Firstly, you must associated Vlc as 'default' player for Dvd files (aka
.vob), see bellow for procedure.
_Procedure to associate the Vlc as (default) Dvd player_ :
1 - Put a Dvd into the reader.
2 - If an application automatically play it, stop the movie and exit
from the application (file>exit, Ctrl+Q, '(red) cross' in top right,
Ctrl+X, Alt+f4, Ctrl+f4,...)
3 - Open a 'Windows Explorer' (Windows+E, Start>'All
application'/programs>Accessories>'Windows Explorer',...)
4 - Go on the Dvd reader icon and double-click to explore it (or with
the directory structure).
5 - Select the first Vob file (vts_01_1.vob)
6 - With the 'Shift' key pressed, right-click on the Vob/Vts file. You
must have 'open with...' choice.
7 - Select 'open with...', and 'choose the program...'
8 - On the new windows dialog, you have the ability to chose a program
to 'play' the file. If Vlc doesn't appear into the regular list, select
the 'browse' choice and go into the Vlc install directory (default
c:\program files\videolan\vlc) and choose vlc.exe
9 - If you want always use Vlc as default Dvd player instead of any
other, check the choice 'Always use this application for this file' (i.e
for this type of file)
10 - Check 'Ok'/'Apply' button
11 - If you double-click on it (i.e. 'play'), Vlc must be start instead
of Power Cinema
12 - If you reinsert the Dvd, Vlc must be start instead of Power Cinema

_Other way to associate Vlc with Dvd reading :_
1 - Reinstall Vlc
2 - When the list of associate file is given, check the association with
Dvd files (Vob, Ifo,...)

Secondary, be careful with the subject. You have lot of chance than
nobody want answer you with this type of subject. More this is a
mailing-list (many hundred of users) not a customer support-service
where you can have 1 contact. You can easily replace Sir by a simple
salutation as 'hello', 'hi',...

For information :
You are certainly under Windows OS (2k, XP, Vista,...) then you must
certainly know than Windows create some default file association to help
user by auto-launching the 'default' application associated with the
type of file (in this case the content of DVD is Vob file and 'default'
application is your Power Cinema application).
Lot of time you haven't the choice when you install some software, they
associated them-self immediately with the managed file type as default
player. If you loose the file association, you can redone the previous
procedure to redone it.

Enjoy,
JaI