[vlc] My eMac G4 700Mhz + 1gb ram has problems with 0.9.6

T_x_x_T t_x_x_t at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 10 21:21:40 CET 2008

Hi!

Well, I've been using VLC for ages, on my Pc before and now on my old Mac. Upgrading has always been without any issues. Yesterday, I felt like watching an Xvid I have, Bourne Identity, with a srt sub file. I had 0.8.6i installed so I thought I'd check out if there was a new version. So I installed 0.9.6. Well, the video was choppy. Really, that was weird. I thought I had an issue with a bad batch of DVD-R... they're old, sometimes scratched etc. It was playing the file, it took longer to load the file actually or parse it or whatever, then playback was I'd say at 15fps. It was nauseating, I mean it would play but there was a bit of a 'slow motion' effect you know. So I reinstalled 0.8.6i and playback was the way it was supposed to be i.e. flawless. It's a low res encode, not more than 576 by 4something, low bitrate most likely, so I don't see why it should have been so hard to play the file properly.

Is that normal? Anyways, I have this old eMac 700mhz, with 1 gb ram, OS 10.4.11 - maybe some filters installed, Mplayer, Quicktime (not the latest), tons of stuff installed but hey, it was playing my files great before. Honestly I didn't feel like testing so I didn't try other files, playing with the configs etc. going back to 0.8.6 was the easy way of enjoying my movie...

I wish I could keep up with the current version, will try a later build.
Thanks.

A user.