[vlc] VLC Crashing on certain DVD titles

Thomas Schweikle tps at vr-web.de
Tue Oct 7 21:23:28 CEST 2008

Rémi Denis-Courmont schrieb:
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 03:13:51 +0000 (UTC), Thomas Schweikle <tps at vr-web.de>
> wrote:
>> VLC crashes on certain DVD titles. This is for VLC version 0.8.6e, 0.9.2,
>> and 0.9.4. Same error messages for all of them. I tried Ubuntu hardy
>> (only 0.8.6e available) and Windows XP Pro, (0.9.2 and 0.9.4 nightlies).
>
> Looks a lot like a bug in libdvdnav. Did you try with another
> libdvdnav-based player?

Yes: totem. Same thing. But VLC even crashes or better has problems even
if I do not use dvd navigation. On title "Der Traum" VLC has problems to
read the whole video file. It exhausts IO-errors for every block it
reads. This for Windows XP and Ubuntu hardy.

On title "Der Himmel über Berlin" it only plays the intro. All other
parts make VLC instantly crash. This with Windows XP and Ubuntu hardy too.

THe dvd "Meeresfrüchte" just displays the menu, but selecting any of the
shown entries makes VLC crash. This is for Ubuntu hardy. Windows XP
shows at least one submenu. But selecting any entry, except "back",
makes VLC crash.

Trying without menus gives tons of IO-errors: "could not read block xxx
skipping".

Are there any tools capable of testing dvds for compliance with
standards? Any other player I could try?