[vlc] 0.8.6-bugfix branch is dead

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Oct 16 20:10:51 CEST 2008

	Hello,

After several months, I am yet to see anyone step up to maintain the VLC
0.8.6-bugfix branch. Unsurprisingly, a bunch of people loudly complained
about the end of support for 0.8.6, yet none of them proposed to take care of
it. That's not how open-source works.

Sorry, I do not have sufficient interest and time to backport fixes any
longer. One stable branch is enough for our stressed team of volunteers.
Hence, consider this the official end of VLC 0.8.6. Note that there are piles
of known bugs, especially WxWidgets UI problems and security issues. Users &
packagers, if you have not upgraded to 0.9.*, it's _really_ overdue.

If you use an unsupported operating system, such as Windows 9x, or an
out-of-date Linux distribution, you have a problem. No need to tell me. As a
Debian user, I am painfully aware of the situation.

Best regards.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
De facto security contact at