[vlc] VLC 0.8.6 end of support

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 17:24:18 CEST 2008

2008/9/1 Rémi Denis-Courmont <rdenis at simphalempin.com>:

> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 17:10:53 +0300, "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Thanks, Felix. I installed VLC from the instructions on this page:
>> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html
>>
>> However, it still installs 0.8.6. I am on Kubuntu 8.04 and I use the
>> apt-get command line interface to install. I do have the Universe repo
>> installed.
>
> You need Ubuntu 8.10 for VLC 0.9.x. I doubt that Ubuntu will backport VLC
> 0.9.x, and the VideoLAN project cannot provide binaries for plenty
> different versions of different distros.

Thanks, Rémi. If 0.8.6 is outdated and has security issues (as
mentioned at the beginning of this thread), then why does the VLC
website recommend it to be installed? If one browses to videolan.org
-> Download -> Ubuntu, he then gets instructions for installing 0.8.6
with no mention of 0.9.x branch. Furthermore, lower on the page there
is warnings about _older_ versions, implying that the current version
is safe.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com