[vlc] VLC 0.8.6 end of support

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at videolan.org
Mon Sep 1 17:32:09 CEST 2008

> Thanks, Rémi. If 0.8.6 is outdated and has security issues (as
> mentioned at the beginning of this thread), then why does the VLC
> website recommend it to be installed? If one browses to videolan.org
> -> Download -> Ubuntu, he then gets instructions for installing 0.8.6
> with no mention of 0.9.x branch. Furthermore, lower on the page there
> is warnings about _older_ versions, implying that the current version
> is safe.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have such a page and users would know
that the first (and unique if you want to be tight on security) place
to get package for your distribution is with the distribution tools (
e.g. synaptic).
And users would also know that if a version is not present or security
holes not fixed, it needs to be reported to the distribution (not to
mention that if this package is particurarly important for you, you
can help the distro or us to maintain it).

Unfortunatly, users are looking on our website so we have to have a
page. And unfortunatly, the packages in ubuntu are not fixed for the
latest bug. But that beyond our control. And we have better things to
do than update the webpage each time a distribution update its
packages.

--
Xtophe

--