[vlc] VLC 0.8.6 end of support

hannes_b at gmx.at hannes_b at gmx.at
Mon Sep 1 20:38:19 CEST 2008

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 13:56:45 +0200, "hannes_b at gmx.at" <hannes_b at gmx.at>
> wrote:
>> Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>>> If you read this mail, you *do* know.
>> yes i know but i am not everyone. think about the people who do NOT know
>> it because they are not reading the mailinglist und do not know how to
>> compile vlc.
>
> They did not read the other email, did they?
>
> I _could_ have put a news for http://www.videolan.org/security/sa0807.html,
> you know. But would YOU have answered all the questions from users as to
> how they install vlc-0.9.1.tar.bz2 to their Start menu?
>
> I too can demand a timely Windows release. But how does it help? We have
> been complaining about lack of Windows porter for how long? and all we get
> is people demanding that we fix their Windows bugs and that we release the
> working Windows binaries. This is not helping.

my suggestion:

1) officially release 0.9.x, binaries for the available source where it is not. say what is not working on a platform.

2) call for windows and other porters on the website, to make the source to a binary.

3) combine these two points. it is necessary that the media get the call to transport it to the maybe in the future developers. the more people know that devs are needed the better.

good that you publicate the security advisory, improves the trust of the users that the project does not hide failures.

thanks for the great work, i personally use the in the mailinglist postet 0.9.1 grishenko, works. :)

kind regards