[vlc] JVLC event support

Keith Kyzivat kkyzivat at tripleplayint.com
Fri Sep 12 20:32:57 CEST 2008

This is primarily for Littlejohn, however I want to keep this on-list so
everyone can see.

I've been using JVLC for java-based video playback with overlay (doing
actual rendering in java -- i.e. no hardware rendering),
however due to some fundamentals of Mpeg2 transport streams, I have now had
to use jvlc/vlc to change the encapsulation
format of videos from transport streams to program streams.

I do have a set of classes and a unit test put together that converts a
video to the Mpeg2 Program Stream encapsulation format now, providing
feedback and cancellation using a swing ProgressMonitor, however I have
issues when reaching the end of the conversion.  Specifically, I never
receive a media player "endReached" event.  I've tried a number of things I
could do that xtophe on the IRC channel suggested, however none of the ones
I've tried have worked properly.

Here are the suggestions I've received from xtophe:

Ones I've tried, but have failed to fix the problem:

   - Try individual mrl option instead of global for sout specifier (":"
   instead of "--") (because '--sout' might keep the stream open for another
   item) -- TRIED, FAILED
   - Use the "--no-sout-keep" option -- TRIED, FAILED

Ones I have not tried yet, as I am not using MediaList/MediaListPlayer or
PlayList, since they have no event support.

   - Add the "vlc://quit" mrl to the end of the playlist
   - Add the "vlc://nop" mrl to the end of the playlist

Since I'd like asynchronous playback with callbacks when the conversion is
finished, I'm interested to get event support added to MediaListPlayer, and
to complete the asynchronous play methods (for which there exists methods,
but it doesn't behave as the signature suggests right now, just ignoring the
boolean synchronous argument).  Adding event support to the other areas
would be nice as well -- MediaList and MediaDescriptor.

I'm willing to put in some work to implement some of this, but I was
informed in the IRC channel that LittleJohn may have a partial
implementation of this work already.

So, LittleJohn, I'm interested to hear if you have a partial implementation
or not -- as I don't want to implement something if one already exists --
both to save work, and to not step on your toes.

Oh and one more thing -- an outstanding question I had:

Does a MediaListPlayer (whatever similar name the underlying c 'object' is)
emit the MediaPlayer series of events (MediaPlayerPlaying, ...
MediaPlayerStopped, etc) as well as the MediaList series of events
(MediaListPlayerPlayed, MediaListPlayerNextItemSet, MediaListPlayerStopped)?

Thanks!

--
Keith Kyzivat

SIPez LLC.