[vlc] VLC 0.9 Mozilla plugin

Frank Bures lisfrank at chem.toronto.edu
Mon Sep 15 15:48:36 CEST 2008

Frank Bures wrote:
>> Jean-Paul Saman wrote:

>>> You need to add --without-mozilla-sdk-path too.
>> Do I need to have any special mozilla rpm packages installed?  Currently I
>> only have firefox-3.0.1 installed.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Frank
>>

> Problem solved.  It was caused by missing x86_64 packages.  For some reason
> 'yum install' installed only i386 versions of firefox development libraries.
>
> For the records, configure command that worked for me was:
> ./configure --enable-mozilla --without-mozilla-sdk-path
>
> However, libvlcplugin.so was not automatically installed anywhere.
> It resides in /usr/local/src/vlc-0.9.2/projects/mozilla/.libs/libvlcplugin.so
>
> Cheers
> Frank

OK, so now I have the plugin file libvlcplugin.so, but Firefox 3.0.1 does
not see it.  I placed it (to be on a sure side) into
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
/usr/lib/firefox-3.0/plugins
/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.1/plugins

but 'about:plugins' in Firefox still has no VLC plugin in it.

And yes, I am running 32-bit version of Firefox on an x86_64 machine (due
to nonexistence of Java for x86_64) so I compiled 32-bit libvlcplugin.so
specifically for this purpose.

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry for bothering you.

Thanks