[vlc] VLC Streaming Questions

blood_on_ice peach_wyss at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 4 16:22:19 CEST 2009

Hello

I've following requirements for my bachelor thesis (streaming videos in
sun's 3d virtual world wonderland):

- Develop a java-player, which can stream videos. This should happen in a
swing non-top-level Swing JComponent (such as a JPanel) because this is a
wonderland restriction...
- On-demand streaming from prerecorded videos
- Every wonderland-client receives his own stream
- But the streams should be synchronized, so that every client should see
the same at the same time
- Every client should have the ability to control the stream (start, pause,
stop, go to a specific position)

A possible scenario would be:
- A few students want to study a prerecorded video. So they have to see the
same video at the same time (like a live-streaming), but with the ability to
control the stream. So every student can for example press the pause-button
and after that the stream stops to play by each student.

After a lot of researching, we've try to implement above scenario the
following way:
- Using JVLC Java clients to connect to our vlc streaming server
- The vlc streaming server should serve a RTP or a HTTP Broadcast stream
- The telnet interface of the vlc streaming server is activated
- The Java clients can control the vlc streaming server through telnet (java
telnet api), so if for example one client clicks on the pause-button, the
clients sends "control name_of_stream pause" through the telnet-api to the
server.
- Then the server pauses the stream and because its a broadcast stream, the
stream pauses by every connected java-client
- So every client has the ability to control the stream and the
synchronizing is established...

With tried the following streams on the vlc streaming server:

HTTP Broadcast:

Code: Select all
    show
        media : ( 1 broadcast - 0 vod )
            test
                type : broadcast
                enabled : yes
                loop : yes
                inputs
                    1 : test.mpg
                output : #standard{access=http,mux=ogg,url=
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080}
                options
                instances
                    instance
                        name : default
                        state : playing
                        position : 0.558420
                        time : 40457089
                        length : 70308000
                        rate : 1000
                        title : 0
                        chapter : 0
                        seekable : 1 vlc
                        playlistindex : 1
        schedule

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -> Public IP

-> We received the stream over the internet, but the stream was very slow
and the client wasn't able to show the video properly. It only runs smoothly
on clients started on the vlc-server directly. Is there any way to get this
run smoothly over the Internet?

We've also tried an RTP Broadcast Stream:

Code: Select all
    show
        media : ( 1 broadcast - 0 vod )
            test
                type : broadcast
                enabled : yes
                loop : yes
                inputs
                    1 : test.mpg
                output : #rtp{dst=
xx.xxxxx.xxx,port=1234,sdp=http:/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/test.sdp}
                options
                instances
                    instance
                        name : default
                        state : playing
                        position : 0.783179
                        time : 531500000
                        length : 653791667
                        rate : 1000
                        title : 0
                        chapter : 0
                        seekable : 1
                        playlistindex : 1
        schedule

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -> Public IP

But here we weren't able to connect to the stream over the internet...what's
wrong here? How can we serve an RTP-Stream over the internet?
What's the difference between RTP Broadcast Streaming and HTTP Broadcast
Streaming?

Or does someone has any other ideas to achieve our scenario (described
above)?

Thanks for your help.
Peter