[vlc] two questions:

Richard Emling richard.emling at gmx.de
Sat Aug 22 22:56:53 CEST 2009

Hello

my name is Richard Emling. I am a blind individual and i use vlc player to listen to various media content. Sadly, your last release refuses to work with my screen reading application. Menues aren't read properly anymore after the update, what forced me to install the previous version of vlc. Maibe you know what you did change to make the application that inaccessible and fix it in a next release?

The second question is more technical nature:

I whant to stream some audio to my local network and later maibe to the internet using the free ogg format, wich i personaly like due to its open source character and its high performance and audio quality compared for example to mp3. Sadly, streaming with vlc isn't that easy for me as i thought. First i will describe what i did:

1. Open vlc
2. Open the streaming wizard
3. select to stream to the network
4. select my soundcard as sound source, because i'd like to do a live stream.
5. Select ogg as format and entered no address into the address fields after selecting http as streaming method.

No the problem:

If i enter
http://localhost:8080

into my browser, first nothing happens, then a download request for a *.part file pops up, that can't be read by a audio player.
Also i tryed to connect via winamp using the same address. I am wondering, where you can specify a filename for the stream such as http://localhost:8080/mystream.ogg

after some attempts i gave up and tryed another format and the unicast streaming method, wich worked very good using an asf stream. But i wanna stream in ogg. I can't expect every listener of my future stream to have vlc installed. Is there a way you can help me?

With gread regards

Richard Emling