[vlc] DSP acceleration support ?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Dec 13 11:57:46 CET 2009

	Hello,

Le dimanche 13 décembre 2009 02:38:29 Arioch, vous avez écrit :
> Here i have an argument if video DSP's in recent ARM PDA's of SmartQ and
> similar flavours, worth noting for playing video, or are they just pieces
> of silicon w/o any software support.
>
> It turns out, SmartQ made a custom build of VLC with support for video DSP
> in it

Never heard of them. What DSP do they use, and through which driver API?

> Probably that support would be nice to have in main stream of VLC/ffdshow ?

VLC bears no direct relation to ffdshow, so I cannot comment on that.

> ARM cpu's might be an interesting ooption for
> PDA's/smartphiones/smartbooks, but for video they need DSP/GPGPU aid.

Of course, supporting DSP improves performance a lot. Even Cortex-A8, which is
by far the most powerful ARM core in the market to this day, won't decode high
definition video in real time.

> Since there is already flavor of VLc with DSP acceleration built in,
> perhaps to make it into mainstream and make VLC leading player for ARM+DSP
> ?

To "upstream" DSP support into VLC, we'd need someone to submit the code to
vlc-devel. Also, it probably needs the kernel driver to be upstreamed into the
operating system too. And then, the hardware should be open, otherwise you
will never be able to run your own VLC on it anyway.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/