[vlc] DSP acceleration support ?

Arioch the_Arioch at nm.ru
Sun Dec 13 15:58:59 CET 2009

>> It turns out, SmartQ made a custom build of VLC with support for video
>> DSP
>> in it
>
> Never heard of them. What DSP do they use, and through which driver API?

Read those arguments. I am sceptical towards non-CPU video decode, hence i
do not have one.
Hence i do not have VLC binary, nor sources.

Theoretical data would be:

SmartQ 7:
  device: http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Products/SmartQ7/200905/27-3.html
  Linux blob:
http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Support/Downloads/Firmware/SmartQ7/200910/11-38.html
  DSP and CPU: Samsung 6410:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/productInfo.do?fmly_id=229&partnum=S3C6410

SmartQ V7:
  device: http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Products/V7/200912/04-40.html
  Linux blob:
http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Support/Downloads/Firmware/V7/200912/04-41.html
  DSP and CPU - Telechips 8900:
http://www.malideveloper.com/platforms/boards/telechips-tcc8900-development-platform.php

W1060:
  http://www.wirelession.com/products_view.asp?cid=94&id=75
  "ARM CORTEX A8 OMAP3530 600M, and dedicated DSP graphic core"

>> Probably that support would be nice to have in main stream of
>> VLC/ffdshow ?
>
> VLC bears no direct relation to ffdshow, so I cannot comment on that.

Ain't ffdshow the main lib in VLC ?
Yes, there is some mistik "use native libraries" switch in options, but no
one knows what it is.

>> ARM cpu's might be an interesting ooption for
>> PDA's/smartphiones/smartbooks, but for video they need DSP/GPGPU aid.
>
> Of course, supporting DSP improves performance a lot. Even Cortex-A8,
> which is by far the most powerful ARM core in the market

For the record, there is A9, that seems to be double-core A8, hence it is
yet faster :-)

> to this day, won't decode high definition video in real time.

Guess, it would not depend on bitrate. h.264 rips would probably go, even
by the edge.

And it is about optimissation as well. Cross-platform VLC plays video on
Win32 not so fast, as non-portable DirectX players...

> To "upstream" DSP support into VLC, we'd need someone to submit the code
> vlc-devel. Also, it probably needs the kernel driver to be upstreamed
> into the
> operating system too. And then, the hardware should be open, otherwise
> you
> will never be able to run your own VLC on it anyway.

...and perhaps it would be the case for GPL violations, who knows.

We both do not have devices at hands, but i also do not have experience in
de-packiing Linux blobs and analyzing VLC binary, nor sources, nor
configs...

--
Используется революционный почтовый клиент браузера Opera:
http://www.opera.com/mail/