[vlc] DSP acceleration support ?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Dec 13 16:50:53 CET 2009

...splitting the thread...

Le dimanche 13 décembre 2009 16:58:59 Arioch, vous avez écrit :
> > To "upstream" DSP support into VLC, we'd need someone to submit the code
> > to vlc-devel. Also, it probably needs the kernel driver to be upstreamed
> > into the operating system too. And then, the hardware should be open,
> > otherwise you will never be able to run your own VLC on it anyway.
>
> ...and perhaps it would be the case for GPL violations, who knows.

Did anyone check that they did use VLC, and actually ask for its source code?
Is the GPL valid in China?
Is the DSP-related code not "part of the operating system" (then it does not
need to be GPL even if a GPL'd program uses it)?

> We both do not have devices at hands, but i also do not have experience in
> de-packiing Linux blobs and analyzing VLC binary, nor sources, nor
> configs...

I'll check if I can see anything. But reallistically, there is not much to be
done about would-be non-cooperative Chinese vendors.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/