[vlc] DSP acceleration support ?

Arioch the_Arioch at nm.ru
Sun Dec 13 21:37:47 CET 2009

Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> писал(а) в своём письме Sun, 13 Dec
2009 18:50:53 +0300:

> Did anyone check that they did use VLC,

Remi, link to the discusion was in my 1st post.
The owner of the V7 device frankly tolds, that he does play video (and do
some promising tests) in VLC.

I do not know nothign about sources, maybe tthere even whole firmware
sources within, who knows.

> Is the GPL valid in China?

Those devices are targeted to be sold outside China.

In China itself everything might be valid, because no one cares there. Be
it copyright, copyleft or whatever.

> Is the DSP-related code not "part of the operating system" (then it does
> not
> need to be GPL even if a GPL'd program uses it)?

Very vague definition. Is ipfilter part of OS ? i'd say yes.

At very least interface to that part is to be made from VLC. Interface
that could be made into a framework for any DSP.

But since there were cases where the whole Linux firmware sources been
forced to be givenm including Linux itself, i wonder if "part of the OS"
is strong point. Linux is certainly part of itself, but is not moved out
of obligations to release vendor patches to it.

> I'll check if I can see anything. But reallistically, there is not much
> to be done about would-be non-cooperative Chinese vendors.

I guess you might want to ask device owner there, if he cares of course.
If VLC and/or most other Linux/Android players would gain suport for DSP,
that would be good for everyone :-)

Surelym you can not make trouble to vendor in China itself, but you can
harm his selling outside China.

--
Написано в почтовом клиенте браузера Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/