[vlc] DSP acceleration support ?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Dec 13 18:45:35 CET 2009

Le dimanche 13 décembre 2009 16:58:59 Arioch, vous avez écrit :
> >> It turns out, SmartQ made a custom build of VLC with support for video
> >> DSP
> >> in it
> >
> > Never heard of them. What DSP do they use, and through which driver API?
>
> Read those arguments. I am sceptical towards non-CPU video decode, hence i
> do not have one.
> Hence i do not have VLC binary, nor sources.
>
> Theoretical data would be:
>
> SmartQ 7:
>   device: http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Products/SmartQ7/200905/27-3.html
>   Linux blob:
> http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Support/Downloads/Firmware/SmartQ7/200910/11-
> 38.html

That's a Linux 2.6.24.7 kernel, a Busybox-based initrd, a Debian squeeze ARM
root tarball and a home tarball for ~user. I cannot find VLC, except for the
dpkg its metadata, so it looks like VLC was uninstalled but not purged. There
is mplayer (and a whole lot of other stuff) though.

> SmartQ V7:
>   device: http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Products/V7/200912/04-40.html
>   Linux blob:
> http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Support/Downloads/Firmware/V7/200912/04-41.ht
> ml

That's a Debian squeeze ARM root tarball. It contains a quite recent VLC 1.1.0
built from git (version "1.0.0-rc1-4005-gf6c5ad9"), but using the penultimate
plugin ABI version 1.1.0d. There are two "abnormal" plugins there: a PPS
access and a PPS service discovery plugins. I guess that this is an
implementation of PPStream:
http://www.imfirewall.com/en/protocols/PPStream.htm

There is also a libvlchdmi.so that everything is linked against, which is
obviously an HDMI implementation. But I'm not clear how it's used. The ALSA
output and the Qt4 UI plugins have some HDMI-related modifications (resampling
and preference panel respectively).

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/