[vlc] Zangon in package with vlc player

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Tue Feb 3 09:06:18 CET 2009

    Dear Justin,

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 10:05:28 +0000, justin ross <justintross at gmail.com>
wrote:
(...)
> Please take action against this immediately because I recommend VLC
> player on a lot of forums and if zango is attached then I will post
> warnings on the sites that havn't done so already.

On moral grounds, I understand your concerns. As a long-time contributor to
VLC, I do not appreciate actions that may unfairly damage our reputation.

*But*, from a legal perspective, I am afraid there is nothing we can do
about this. Our license does _not_ forbid making money. It also does
explicitly allow bundling VLC with other independent pieces of software.
That clause is necessary for Linux distributions and Windows/OSX software
collection CDs, for instance. It is unfortunate, but with no further
elements, I suspect that Supernova is in its own right here.

Best regards,

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont