[vlc] Bug crashes Win XP

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Sat Jan 3 21:30:52 CET 2009

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le samedi 3 janvier 2009, Peter Hillier-Brook a écrit :
>> Running a movie DVD (recorded off air), a repeatable bug causes an
>> irrecoverable system freeze, presumably in an un-interruptible loop
>>  as the screen display remains intact. The trigger event is the
>> closing of VLC by means of the exit button (white cross/red
>> background) during playing of the movie.
>
> This bug lies with your operating system (most probably a buggy
> device driver). This is not a VLC problem - VLC cannot freeze the
> whole system.

I agree. It's self-evident that the bug is in Win XP and/or its drivers,
however the trigger event is generated by VLC *and only VLC* so I was
hoping for an indication of what might be happening within VLC at the
time. Selecting the exit button seems a fairly innocuous thing to do,
indeed I kill programs with it all the time, and only VLC has triggered
this problem over the last several years.

Thanks anyway for the fast response.

Peter HB