[vlc] Problems (Sound, Transcoding, Codecs, Logs) On Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10)

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Thu Jan 8 21:10:36 CET 2009

On Thursday 08 January 2009, Christophe Mutricy wrote:
> > When I play any .mts file, I see an effect that's the same as when
> >
> > used to play files imported from a miniDV camcorder without
> > specifing
> >
> > deinterlacing. I would assume that VLC is automatically
> > deinterlacing
> >
> > the video, even though it doesn't need it. When I specify to
> > discard
> >
> > deinterlacing, I get a clear picture. I'm trying to make it do this
> >
> > automatically without me having to specify it.
>
> "Discard" is the name of one of the deintelacer.
> So either the deinterlace is not automatically selected or the
> deinterlacer used is not as efficient as the "discard" one

I have uncommented the line that says "deinterlace-mode=discard" in
~/.config/vlc/vlcrc and just to check, tried it in ~/.vlc/vlcrc and
neither seems to have any effect.

> >> *Ubuntu* decided to remove all MPEG encoders. The VideoLAN project
> >>
> >> was not involved in this decision, and there is nothing it can do
> >>
> >> about it.
> >
> > Okay, so did they remove them from just VLC, or overall? Is there a
> >
> > package I can install to restore them?
>
> Overall.

I hate it when distros play games like that!

> You can install libavcodec52-unstripped (and friends) or use the
> libavcodec of medibuntu

I have libavcodec51 (and the unstripped version) in the repository.  Is
it just a version difference?  Anything noticeable between the two?

Hal