[vlc] Problems (Sound, Transcoding, Codecs, Logs) On Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10)

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Thu Jan 8 23:30:45 CET 2009

On Thursday 08 January 2009, Christophe Mutricy wrote:
> > Okay, so did they remove them from just VLC, or overall? Is there a
> >
> > package I can install to restore them?
>
> Overall.
>
> You can install libavcodec52-unstripped (and friends) or use the
> libavcodec of medibuntu

I installed as suggested.  I still have the following problems:

1) When I play back the .mts file, I get video but no sound.

2) Interlacing -- but I'll deal with that later.

3) Transcoding: I no longer get errors for transcoding.  I picked MP4
for video and MP4-AAC for audio.  The result is a file that has audio
but no video.  I've tried a couple different video formats and end up
with either no video or the codec isn't available or no conversion can
be done.  I also tried it using Ogg, with theora for video and vorbis
for audio -- no video!

I hope at this point I'm just being dense and missing a simple setting
to make sure I get video -- but I do select a video codec for the
conversion.

Any help is much appreciated!

Hal