[vlc] Question on VLC control

Brook Lin gnu.fans at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 00:32:24 CET 2009

Hi All,

I'm not familiar with VLC. I'm using it as the client to play some video.
However, I met a problem and don't know how to solve it. Could anyone please
help me? Here is the problem.

I am doing a wireless communication project. I transmit a video and
meanwhile receive what I send at the receiver side, using USRP boards which
are the hardware solution for my project. I try to do real-time video
transmitting and receiving. At the transmitter side, I use web camera to
capture the video and use VLC to do the video streaming, then use USRP board
to transmit the streaming. At the receiver side, another USRP board receives
the streaming packets, then the packets are saved to a file, at the same
time, I use VLC to decode and play from this file. Here the problem comes.
VLC will close if it thinks it is the end of the file or stream. However,
the receiver is still receiving and new stream is coming after VLC close.
How can I control the VLC? Let it decode and play the stream, if it thinks
it is the end of the stream, just pause and wait for new stream or packet
comes, then continue to play. Is there source code available on it? If I
need a socket, how to write it? I am using Ubuntu8.04. Please advise me.

Thanks for any reply.
Brook Lin