[vlc] RTSP: How to Announce EOF event to the RTSP Client

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Jul 11 11:53:34 CEST 2009

Le samedi 11 juillet 2009 12:40:05 ravinder, vous avez écrit :
> First of all thanks Remi Denis for your reply and I absolutely agree with
> your reply in case of stream is delivered through RTP/RTCP protocol. I am
> sorry that I forgot to mention the protocol that I used to deliver the
> media and it is: I am using MPEG-2 Transport Stream in which there is no
> concept of RTCP so, there is no way to announce the EOF reached event to
> the client and client is still waiting for the data instead of sending
> TEARDOWN.

RTCP is not an optional part of RTP. Not even for MPEG2-TS. Some people think
that RTCP only does lip-synch, which is indeed not needed for TS. If you don't
send RTCP then de-jitter does not work, neither EOF detection, nor minor
things like packet loss statistics.

> I feel in such cases server need to ANNOUNCE EOF event to the
> client so that it will teardown the RTSP session.

No. The server needs to send RTCP compounds.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/