[vlc] problem with playing from CDs on a mac

pdewalt at kc.rr.com pdewalt at kc.rr.com
Mon Jul 20 21:59:48 CEST 2009

I am using VLC with a new MacBook (only a couple of months old) running system 10.5.7

Whenever I try to play files from CDs - regardless of their format (avi, moov, mpg, divx, etc...) the screen freezes so often that the files are unwatchable.  Sometimes the freeze never frees up, sometimes it does.

This happens regardless of whether I'm watching in full screen mode or not.

These same files played with quicktime, or real player, or mplayer do not freeze - only when played on VLC.

DVDs play fine too (with the apple DVD player that is).

Additionally, when the screen DOES finally unfreeze, there will be digital artifacts and shadows following darker objects on screen for several seconds.

Deleting the preference file does not help.

I am assuming this must be some sort of bug.

Please advise.

Philip DeWalt