[vlc] VLC on Macbook

Thierry-Michel Pellegrin thierrymichel at me.com
Mon Jun 22 13:16:15 CEST 2009

Hello,

I don't know which language between French and English to use, so I
will use English. I have a little concern about using VLC (release
0.9.9a for Mac Intel) on my Macbook (Intel, Mac OS X 10.5.7). In fact,
I cannot play any DVD (no matter the region code) on the computer.
Only sound gets out, but no image. When the DVD is inserted, all seems
normal but the screen goes white and no images appear, while the sound
is good.

This seems very strange to me, because it used to work perfectly
beforehand, but I noticed that it stopped working properly as soon as
I updated it. I have tried everything unsuccessfully.

The only way for me to make it work was to download from your website
an earlier version. In fact I had to download the VLC release 0.8.6i,
for PowerPC. Note that this works perfectly well. I find this
particularly strange, since, as said before, my Macbook is an Intel
one. I know that Intel Macs can run PowerPC programs, but since the
Intel version exists, I wanted to use it.

Could you tell me please what I should do to use the Intel version VLC
again on my computer? Also, did you have any similar problems with
MAcbook users?

Also note that I have sent numerous crash reports resulting from this
problem, as VLC crashed in all occasions I tried to quit the program.

Thank you,

PELLEGRIN Thierry-Michel
thierrymichel at me.com