[vlc] VLC for Mobile Phones

Arioch the_Arioch at nm.ru
Sun Mar 1 17:13:56 CET 2009

> great idea to make a VLC Media Player for mobile phones.

Impossible. Java interpreter would not allow to play with normal speed
even 100x100 tiny video.

That may be possible for PDAs/smartphones/communicators allowing to break
into and make native applications, but not for mobile phones.
Among very few possibiities might be old Siemens phones and some of
Samsung phones, that were cracked and some vey simple native programs coul
be made possible, though without any information how to make them, it
would not be easier than run Windows on your printer a home.

> People could just put videos on their phone without needing to convert
> it to any specific format and watch it peacefully.

....at speed "one new frame each 3 seconds" :-)

Did you really never met video, that quality was far above processor
capabilities ?
I would say that Celeron 3 850MHz is too slow to play video of format
640x480 MPEG4/ISO/AVC  750 Kbps High at L3.1 (Win XP 32 bit, Radeon X700)
Even Direct-X players like KMPlayer lags the video. VLC is noticeably
slower an completely unusable on that video. Even when picture is rendered
1:1 without zooming or squeezing to another windows size.

Athlon 4200+ dual-core is too weak to play 1920x1080 MPEG4/ISO/AVC
downscaling to my display of 1600x1200.

Now you want to put such a video onto mobile phone, whose processor is
hundreds time weakier than Celeron 3 850MHz and screen is very small so
each frame of video should be re-calculated from native size to small size
of phone's display ?
What is that magic, that would allow phone to do more work, that the work
unbearabe for computers hundreds time stronger than phone ?

Transcoding anyway would be required, to make video simplier to unpack and
slow in picture size.
--
Используется революционный почтовый клиент браузера Opera:
http://www.opera.com/mail/