[vlc] VLC for Mobile Phones

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Mar 1 17:25:11 CET 2009

Le dimanche 1 mars 2009 18:13:56 Arioch, vous avez écrit :
> > great idea to make a VLC Media Player for mobile phones.
>
> Impossible. Java interpreter would not allow to play with normal speed
> even 100x100 tiny video.

To the best of my knowledge S60, WinCE and MacOS X phones all support running
native C code. But there is no S60 port, the WinCE port is incomplete and the
MacOS X port is not part of the VideoLAN project. It might also be possible
with other Symbian derivatives such as UIQ.

Of course, it is not possible to put VLC on RIM, gPhone or S40 devices, that
only allow some form of Java.

> That may be possible for PDAs/smartphones/communicators allowing to break
> into and make native applications, but not for mobile phones.
> Among very few possibiities might be old Siemens phones and some of
> Samsung phones, that were cracked and some vey simple native programs coul
> be made possible, though without any information how to make them, it
> would not be easier than run Windows on your printer a home.

You don't need to crack those. I have been using PuTTY on my Nokia E61 and N95
for several years.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary