[vlc] stuttering on karmic koala

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Nov 1 22:41:33 CET 2009

Le dimanche 1 novembre 2009 22:55:52 hannes_b at gmx.at, vous avez écrit :
> i had before the 1.0.2 too. point is, the movie player totem, mplayer works
>  good, but my beloved vlc does stutter. grrr

Most stuttering problems are due to broken PulseAudio deployments, broken ALSA
drivers and/or broken scheduling. I feel fairly safe saying this considering
that earlier VLC stuttering problems have come and gone with typically kernel
and/or ALSA updates, and no VLC changes.

Ubuntu does not care about VLC. Look at the broken Qt4 version in 9.04 which
makes VLC crash. Look at the modified GNOME screensaver incompatible interface
in 9.10. Oh, did I mention VLC was in universe (or was it multiverse even?).

PulseAudio does not care about VLC either. Lennart admitted to me that "[his]
focus is on gstreamer". Guess which software the PulseAudio changes are tested
against?

And looking at the lack of considerations from my patches on alsa-devel, I
infer that the ALSA developpers don't care either.

With this lack of cooperation and your totally fuzzy bug report, chances that
the real problem gets found and fixed other than by sheer sysadmin luck are
nul. No, there is (obviously) no magic switch to disable stuterring.

> possible in relation with a crash?
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vlc/+bug/466418
> vlc crashed with SIGSEGV in QAccessible::updateAccessibility()

Most certainly no relation whatsoever.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/