[vlc] problems

Keith Kyzivat kamaji at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 15:31:03 CET 2009

When one sees these questions day in and day out for years, one is bound to
get a lower and lower tolerance.
Such is the way the human psyche works.  If you were in Rémi's place, I
imagine you'd do the same.

People need to learn proper etiquitte for open source development mailing
lists and chatrooms.
These people donate their own time voluntarily to create great free
software, and beyond that, provide a venue for people to ask questions and
have them answered by the core team members.

It's only fair to have them do their research and properly form their
questions.
9 times out of 10, their questions have been answered before, and can be
found if one looks -- web search, mailing list archives, wiki, andVideoLan
website.

Here are a few links that people on this list should read:
MythTV has a good wiki page on mailing list etiquette, most of which can be
directly applied to this mailing list -
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette

Eric S. Raymond has a great essay about how to ask questions to hackers, and
get the sort of answers you're looking for.  It is very good information for
everyone reading this list - http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Rémi, I personally thank you for doing your best to answer people's
questions, when they properly form them (and for having the tolerance to
answer the many that don't really provide enough information!)

Oh, and of course, thank you to you and the rest of the team for developing
great cross platform video software, but that generally goes without saying.