[vlc] Converted file extensions

DR drwin at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 14 21:51:29 CET 2009

Hello,

I recently downloaded VLC media player.  It works very well; excellent
product; thanks!

BUT:

The download process automatically converted all the video files on my
computer from their original extensions.  This makes them unplayable on
Windows Media Player-which I used without difficulty before.  I now get the
following message:

"The selected file has an extension (.vpj) that is not recognized by Windows
Media Player, but the Player may still be able to play it."

"Do you want the Player to try to play this content?"  [Y] selected.

Result:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file.  The Player might not support
the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the
file."

Online MS Help says: "You've encountered error message C00D1199 while using
Windows Media Player."

NOTE: the file type is actually [.avi], which is listed as supported by WMP.

Any suggestions on solving this problem would be appreciated.

BTW it doesn't seem ethical to force a one-dimensional situation on a user
who is downloading software in good faith.

Thanks,

D.R.