[vlc] VLC Freezes

Robert Kagels mbkagels at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 28 17:33:49 CET 2009

I am using VLC media player 1.0.1 Goldeneye  in a Windows XP/SP3 environment. VLC crashes a lot. When I used an earlier version of VLC, the window would disappear completely. Since I have upgraded to 1.0.1, it merely shrinks to the control window without the video.

When I reopen VLC and try to move the slider to the approximate place of the freeze, the VLC freezes while I am moving the slider. Once VLC freezes, the only way to get it to run normally is to reboot Windows.

The files on my DVD are .IFO and .VOB files.

When I am viewing the video, the places where the VLC crashes are unpredictable.  However, I have noticed the DVD will play longer if I have fewer applications running. Recently I added another 1 GB of memory hoping to solve the problem. It has made no difference.

Most recently, I have discovered an interplay between VLC and Microsoft Word when running only these applications. If I run VLC without Word, it seems to run fine. When I open Word to take notes on the lecture, soon VLC freezes. It does not seem to matter which order I open VLC and Word. When I am adding notes to my Word document, VLC soon crashes. I suspect an issue with the way memory is allocated by the two programs.

Please do not tell me to simply stop using the two programs together. I need to be able to take notes in Word while the video is playing.

Is there something else I can to that might help solve the problem?

Thank you,
BobK