[vlc] VOB / AVI Position / Time problem

Arno Veldhuis a.veldhuis at tm-solutions.nl
Fri Oct 16 16:00:37 CEST 2009

There Madam/Sir,

We are using VLC Player ActiveX plugin to link a measurement file by frame number to an exact location in a movie.

We encounter the following problem with version VLC 0.8.6e and 1.0.2;

-          AVI movie is working fine

è Move to "Position" goes to the correct position, and is repeatable

è Move to "Time" goes to the correct position, and is repeatable

-          VOB movie is showing the following problems

è Move to "Position" goes to an offset position, but is repeatable. It reads the "time" corresponding to the wrong position.

è Move to "Time" goes to different positions all the time, sometimes to the correct one.

This exact same behaviors can be repeated in VLC media Player 1.0.2 GUI with the "Go to specific time" function, AVI working fine, VOB going to different locations.

We have validated the VOB movie with Gspot, it say's static frame rate 25 fps.

We have validated the VOB movie with VirtualDub, it has a "go to frame number" function, it goes to exactly the corresponding frame images as the AVI does in VLC player.

Virtualdub VOB plugin used: http://home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/index.html

So way don't we use AVI if that's working correct, simply because we can't the movie's are on DVD and we whish to keep it that way...

Do you have any suggestions to bypass or solve this issue? If you can't help me, please let me know.

With best regards,

Arno Veldhuis