[vlc] AVAILABLE_MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6_AND_LATER

Rodrigo Guerra tioguerra at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 12:59:08 CEST 2009

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the support. The steps I followed came from
<http://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile>. I am not sure how official
and/or trustable that source is.

2009/9/26 Felix Kühne <fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com>:
>>$ ./bootstrap
>>(changed ARCH=x86_64 from ARCH=i386 in config.mak)
>>$ make
> This way, you mess up your contribs. You'll probably need to do this
> change after downloading and installing the contrib package (otherwise
> configure will fail). Prior to the contribs' installation, this will
> get you the wrong package.

Are you sure about that? See the section "What about 64-bit?" in
<http://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile>. There you will find this text:

"After running bootstrap in extras/contrib: Replace the first line of
config.mak to ARCH=x86_64 from ARCH=i386. Running make after only this
change should cause the precompiled x86_64 contrib to be downloaded
and extracted."

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Rodrigo Guerra <tioguerra at gmail.com> wrote:
>> $ ./configure CFLAGS="-arch x86_64" LDFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
>> OBJCFLAGS="-arch x86_64" --build=x86_64-apple-darwin9.7.0
>
> This is wrong. Apple's version of GCC will output 64bit binaries by
> default on Mac OS X Snow Leopard aka Darwin 10. Additionally, you'll
> want to use the "-m32" or "-m64" flags to change the default behavior
> instead of the "-arch" flag. The latter will not necessarily enforce
> compilation for the desired architecture.
> To change the architecture, make sure to export "-m64" or "-m32"
> within CPPFLAGS and CXXFLAGS as well, as these are quite important for
> VLC's compilation system.

Again in the section "What about 64-bit?" in
<http://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile> you will find this text:

"Running configure: Do something like ./configure CFLAGS="-arch
x86_64" LDFLAGS="-arch x86_64" OBJCFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
--build=x86_64-apple-darwin9.7.0 instead. Not all these flags may be
necessary."

I am trying again right now and I will report my progress.

PS.: Where should I report problems and get support about the stuff in
extras/contrib? Is this mailing list the right place for that?