[vlc] Converting to import in to iTunes for Apple TV

Michael Bender Michael.Bender at Sun.COM
Sun Sep 27 23:17:22 CEST 2009

On Sep 27, 2009, at 12:25 PM, Michael Josephs wrote:

> VLC team,
>
> I downloaded VLC in order to convert files in .mkv format in to a
> format (mp4 I assumed) in order to be able to import them in to the
> movies part of iTunes for use with Apple TV. I have been
> unsuccessfull in doing this. I have tried about 30 different
> combinations of options, and the best I can do is import the audio
> of the movie in to iTunes. When I attempted to convert the .mp4 or
> m4v that VLC created with another video converter, I got an error in
> indicating that the file had no video component to it.
>
> Can you please tell me how I convert a file using VLC in to a file I
> can import in to itunes to watch as a movie?

I use Handbrake (on a Mac, but it's available for other platforms as
well) to convert
my videos from one format to another. Handbrake comes with a
collection of useful
presets, including AppleTV, iPod and iPhone presets.

mike