[vlc] Volume Control Issues

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Apr 5 20:12:51 CEST 2010

Hello Doug,

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 10:31:26AM -0500, DOUG_PEELER at Dell.com wrote :
> I would like to start a conversation with the VideoLAN team about the current volume control implementation on the VLC player.  The option to allow the customer to adjust volume above 100% results in digital distortion in any content that is mastered at or close to full scale. This results in both poor sound quality and, more importantly, failure in internal speakers and attached devices.  Given the negative impact to customers and manufacturers of systems supporting the software, I want to understand what it would take to change the design to limit the volume control to 100%.

VLC outputs can go up to 400%. Depending on the audio output module,
over 100% might mean software amplification that can, indeed, create
poor sound quality and saturation.

However, such saturation shouldn't break anything in internal speakers
of attached device, except if the audio driver is stupid enough to
output audio waves that breaks speakers.

So far, noone is supporting the software, but any idea how to design the
volume in a better way would be very welcome.
You can even contract one of us, if you consider that we should fix this
issue.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf