[vlc] How can I get a VLC RPM for installation on a non-internet-enabled Laptop?

Basil Fernie basil at pop.co.za
Mon Apr 5 20:02:32 CEST 2010

Gentlemen/ladies

I am a delighted user of VLC on Windows (XP, Vista) and would like to be
an equally delighted user of VLS on SuSE11.2. I would also like to install
it on my disabled daughter's laptop which is currently running 11.1

Your site   http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-suse.html   hints
tantalizingly at an RPM download, but only facilitates the online
installation process (implying a cloud-located repository) which I find to
be one of the most irritating aspects of trying to convert from Windows to
Linux: the tacit assumption that you are permanently plugged into some fat
free (not fat-free) data pipe which will automatically deliver gigabytes
of data whenever sucked upon by some installer program downloaded in the
traditional fashion from some HTML somewhere.

While university students and staff are generally in such a privileged
position (and privileged it is), there are many millions of people out
there who are attracted to Linux and opensource applications but find the
promise totally spoiled by the axioms on which the developers distribute
their excellent products. Have you ever tried to access the Web from let
us say a new SuSE installation via Bluetooth and a cellphone modem?
There's a vicious circle there.

That specific problem is not your fault, but I can't help feeling I should
be able to download an RPM from your site onto my (internet-enabled)
Windows installation, copy it to a memory stick, cart it over to my
daughter's laptop and install VLC with a click or two. Would you agree?
Would you help? Please?

Sincerely,

Basil Fernie