[vlc] horrible bug

John Michael Williams jwill at BasicISP.net
Fri Aug 27 03:19:37 CEST 2010

Hi.

Your computer may be short on disc space or memory.   I have
a 2 GHz CPU and it took less than 1 minute to rebuild my
font cache when I upgraded to v. 1.1.3.

Other possible problems:

1. Your computer is infected; run an antivirus such as Clamscan.

2. Your startup files are corrupted:  Assuming you are using Windows,
    go to C:/Documents and Settings/(your user name)/Application Data/vlc

    Delete everything there (including font cache) and then restart VLC.

3. your files are heavily fragmented.  Run the Windows "Disc
    Defragmenter" as Admin.

On 08/25/2010 11:24 PM, Daniel Klíma wrote:
> 2010/8/25 Dave Lasc<davelasc at gmail.com>:
>> Unfortunately, I cannot find the old version that worked perfectly. I had to
>> reinstall windows and downloaded the last version.
>> so far, you should remove the add on your site "plays everything", as it
>> currently plays nothing!!!!
>> whenever i try to play something, I get a pop up "building font cache". WHY?
>> it takes half an hour before it can play anything, in case your computer
>> does not crush because of overheating (uses all possible resources). I had
>> to crush it in the task manager.
>> FYI, I don't use any files that have subtitles and it happens EVERY time
>> when I want to play something (even music). so, it's not only after the
>> first run.
>> as this is a major current problem, I tried visiting your forum, but the
>> search box does not work!!!!
>> what's going on... please, please, let us download the old version, as this
>> one sucks.
>> best,
>> dave from bosnia
>
> Hello.
>
> I'd say just let it run until the end. It is just one time job. (no
> matter how long it takes,it will finish,you can just let it run
> overnight.)
>
> Klimax

         John Michael Williams
         jwill at BasicISP.net