[vlc] Release of AribaMC: Overlay-based video streaming plugin for VLC

Christoph Mayer mayer at kit.edu
Fri Dec 17 21:47:15 CET 2010

Hi Arioch,

> Does Ariba use native IP Multicast, if found that backbone is capable ?

current Ariba can not use a hybrid IPMulticast/Overlay model. We have
concepts for such mechanism but its currently not implemented.

> The next question i think wouldl have answer "no" but maybe would
> influence you future goals.
>
> Can Ariba be made for Windows, or libraries are linux-specific ?
 > Can Ariba be distiributed as binary plugin for vanilla Win32
 > installation ?

Currently Ariba is Linux based. A Windows port would not be that hard to
achieve.

> Can Ariba be used, so that clients determine what to view, not passively
> accept what server is streaming?
 > From 1st glance, VLC has this in Tools -> Configure VLM -> Video on
 > Demand mode.

One overlay is employed currently per video stream. So if the client
streams multiple videos through Ariba, we could enhance the GUI so that
a client can see what is available on the network and choose.

> Can Ariba clients use network auto-discovery, such as ZeroConf (Avahi)
> or UPnP or such ?

Ariba uses multiple bootstrapping modules that can be switched on/off.
First, mDNS-based ZeroConf with Avahi (here we use not the VLC
mechanisms but our own), second, a custom broadcast announcement, and
third Bluetooth SDP, i.e. if you have bluetooth devices they can find
the stream through SDP.

> Would Ariba server auto-discover clients and chooses one to proactively
> stream to ?

Currently the stream is diseminated in a tree-based multicast overlay to
every joined client. So if the client joins the overlay, it receives the
stream.

Thanks for your interest and we would be happy to push this further!

Regards,
Chris

http://www.ariba-underlay.org/wiki/Documentation/VLC