[vlc] new decoding plane predictions bug in VLC media player 1.1.5?

Daniel Lawton dan at wincam.com
Wed Dec 22 06:29:29 CET 2010

Your 1.1.5 seems to have a new bug when playing baseline H.264.  If a plane prediction for an I macroblock (16x16) has dead black and dead white pixels,  it makes this mistake.  If I  had to guess, I'd say you have an overflow error in the plane math.

1.1.2 does not do this, you can play the streams side by side.  I don't know about 1.1.3 and 1.1.4, I didn't try them.

Here's the mistake captured from VLC,  with 2 closeups of different occurances.  I can try to capture the offending stream if needed.

1.1.5 also has a terrible time displaying 10MP streaming. It's probably the video output drivers, but that's not much of an excuse when it doesn't play on half the machines, and the picture could be presented to the output driver in 4 pieces if needed.

I can give you access to a 10MP stream if needed, we design IP cameras.

Thanks,
Daniel Lawton
StarDot Technologies, Inc.