[vlc] About VLC Buffering and HTTPS Playback

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Feb 7 18:36:44 CET 2010

	Hello,

Le mercredi 3 février 2010 17:45:44 Varinder, vous avez écrit :
>     * VLC freezes the HTTP video stream as it buffers a set amount of
>       time/data. When the player finished playing this pre-buffered
>       data, it starts buffering again. When the buffer starts again, the
>       video stops until a decent amount of data is available to play
>       from again. The problem is that this ruins the viewers experience
>       when watching the video.

It works fine here, except when the bandwidth is insufficient.

>       My recommendations are as follows
>           o Allow VLC to continuously buffer, a configurable play time
>             or buffer size, until it reaches the end-of-stream.
>             (Something like buffer in background about 10 min of play or
>             50MB and prevent that buffer from going low (Like dvd-burner
>             buffer under-run technology) but start to play when the
>             player has 1 min or 50MB)

We already do that (up to 500Mb).

>           o This configurable buffer setting should be available in the
>             Properties Dialog.

You can increase the HTTP caching delay too if you want.

>     * VLC does not play HTTPS streams with HTTP-AUTH. We would like this
>       to be added to VLC. Also the ability to save the username/password
>       would be user-friendly.

That works fine here, as long as the x509 certificate is valid and signed by a
recognized CA.

At least on my system (Debian), VLC uses the system-wide configured list of
root certification authorities. This might not work with some other platforms.

>       Please add HTTPS stream playback with the ability to save the
>       certificates and username/passwords for HTTP-AUTH.

While it would probably be a good idea, that would require quite much work,
and I am not aware of anyone volunteering or being paid to implement this.

Best regards,

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/