[vlc] There is no VLC real-portable version available in the official web site. Why?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri Jan 1 21:49:49 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 07:57:10PM -0430, InterlinkKnight wrote :
> That portable version work but I wonder why the VLC official website says
> "VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia placer". Is not portable!
> A portable application is something you can place in an external drive (like
> a flashdrive) without needing to install or change any setting.
Porable doesn't only mean what you mean. It means also portable between
operating system.

> You should place two kinds of editions to download: the regular setup and
> the portable (compressed in a ZIP file if the application need to be in a
> folder). That way anyone can extract the file or folder and place it
> anywhere they want without needing to search in another unofficial website.

I would advise you to look a bit closer to the webpage.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

> Or remove the word "portable" from the description, because is not.
First it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_portability
And then it is again:
http://www.videolan.org/mirror-geo.php?file=vlc/1.0.3/win32/vlc-1.0.3-win32.zip

Maybe, before getting aggressive and tell people what they should or
should not do, you should ask questions...

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/