[vlc] latest VLC 1.0.3 still not converting vob to ?? file

bob mackey binarybob at verizon.net
Sat Jan 2 00:54:00 CET 2010

I now have the newest VLC 1.0.3 and I am trying to “convert” my input file
(a huge .vob from a dvd disk)  to a  wmv  file --- again, as before, everything
I create (eg  outfile.wmv) is bad, poor, wont play etc.  even tho it takes over
an hour to create this output file!

At the “convert” window, I type in the source file name (ok);; for destination
I type in  eg  outfile.wmv  (is that enuff to tell it I want a .wmv  file?) and then
the rub:   which one of the 12 choices (under “profile”) do I pick!?  No matter
what, I indeed generate a 70-80mb out file,  but the playback either is useless
or it doesn’t play at all.

There must be a/some known tricks here,  but I do not have time to try every one
of a zillion combos via trial and error,  to make my output file!  can u help!?

bob mackey
binarybob at verizon.net