[vlc] Report of some bugs at video-transconding / VLC 1.0.3

Reinhard Schretzmayer rei1607schretz at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:29:07 CET 2010

Hi,

following a report of my tests - the challenge was to convert video for the Apple iPod Video (5G). This iPod supports the formats X.264/AAC & MPEG-4 in size 320x240. I tried to transcode a.) a video from a satellite-receiver (= *.rec from a Topfield-receiver) and b.) a DVD (PAL). VLC-version 1.0.3 Goldeneye, Windows (XP).

Transcoding with H-264/AAC

This codec did not work correct, neither with the *.rec from the Topfield nor with *.m2p-files:

Although I set in the project-settings the size to 320x240 the produced video is larger - 470x240 pixels!There are image interferences every 1-2 seconds = the transcoded video is unusable!

Transcoding with MPEG4/AAC to a *.MP4 does work (only the calculated time was far away from the effective required time).

Transcoding a DVD

Because the DVD I used was protected, I first copied the DVD to harddisk  - only the main-video and only one language.  Then I tried to transcode the DVD-structure (AUDIO_TS, VOBs/BUP/INF in VIDEO_TS) with VLC.

H.264/AAC does produce the same image interferences like above - unusable.MPEG4 does principle work, but:When I stopped the MPEG4-transloding after some minutes - the produced *.MP4 was OK, does look good.The calculated = estemated time (for a 2.5-hours-video) was 3,75 hours (on a 1,7GHz Celeron) - in fact it needed some minutes more than ONE(!) hour. That means, that the calculated time was also far away from the effective required time.When I let VLC transcode the DVD-files to the end - VLC did not realize the correct EOF (end of file)! Ths does mean, the the produced *.MP4 was corrupt! Neither iTunes nor VLC nor Quicktime did accept the transcoded *.MP4 from the VLC!

Because of this I had to make a workaround - I muxed the DVD-structure (AUDIO_TS, VOBs/BUP/INF in VIDEO_TS) with ProjectX to one m2p-file - this m2p I could transcode with VLC in size 320x240 (framerate up to 2.500kB including audio) with MPEG4 (not with H.264) to an iPod-working file.

SUMMARY:

The H.264-codec does not work correct (image interferences, no size 320x240 possible) - but this codec should be the target, because it would produce smaller files.
the calculated time is crass falseDVD-stucture from HDD (Folder "Volume") does not end correct, does produce a corrupt *-MP4-file (stopped manually earlier, the MP4 was OK).

Please keep me in loop, when this bugs are fixed - thanks!

Reinhard