[vlc] Multimedia Hard drives

Frank DiRocco ofanged1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 14:04:53 CET 2010

Have you been able to play the same files from your local machine? If
so, does the drive support a high-enough bit rate to move the file
stream into VLC's buffer? What is the bit rate of the file? When you
say "cannot play", does it open the files?

IMHO streaming an mkv from an external drive is not feasible. A few
simple google search clicks (within the first 6 results) turned up an
interesting thread regarding the mkv container and a possible 24Mb/s
limit.

Here is a link to a Video bit rate calculator (from the same search)
that can help you determine if the files are playable from the device,
the thing is you will need to find out what kind of bit rate you get
from the device into VLC. How old is the drive? Is it thrashing, I/O
waits, bad sectors, being used by other processes such as AV scanners
that check all opened/accessed files (McAffee and others)?

Keep in mind, encoded video (and audio) is compressed. So, you are
moving a very large file on a disk of unknown sparsity directly into
active memory where it is then uncompressed and read by VLC. All these
steps will impede that transfer and rob you of speed.

Please look at the bit rate of your files, then try lower bit rate
files. I can believe a USB2.0 external drive may have issues with a HD
DivX file, but I find it hard to believe DivX in a low bit rate format
will not be streamable from an external drive.