[vlc] Sound (micro-)interrupts on FreeBSD 8-STABLE/snd_hda

Thomas Hummel googhummel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 16:15:13 CET 2010

Hello,

I could use a little help on a weird sound issue I'm struggling with :

1. Description :
------------------------

  When playing audio files with vlc, the sound has from few to many
"micro-interrupts"
  (less than 1/4 of a second), randomly but frequently (so this is not hard
  reproduce). This seem to occur :

    . with any file (I can pick a random audio file to experience it)
    . with either mp3 or flaac encoded files

Note :

the problem occurs with mplayer as well (either with oss or sdl audio output
(although sdl seems to have less "interrupts").

 but

    . not with ffplay
    . apparently not with xine
    . apparently not with amarok

-> so I doubt this may be a harware or a driver issue.

and on a almost idle 4GB RAM machine running only KDE-4 and firefox-3

no hints  shows in /var/log/messages

Here's what vlc in debug mode says when sound drops :

main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (16139), dropping buffer
[0x80883fd78] main audio output warning: output PTS is out of range (67888),
clearing out
[0x80883fd78] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-9952),
dropping buffer
[0x80883fd78] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (-36062),
dropping buffer
[0x80883fd78] mpgatofixed32 audio output debug: libmad error: bad
main_data_begin pointer

2. Config :

I'm running :

  . 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD amd64

  . full zfs (no ufs) (files are on a "slow" disk pool (5400 rpm) but moving
    them to the "fast" system disk (7200 rpm) doesn't change anything.

   . Tweaking drivers latency options (like hw.snd.latency) doesn't change
anything either.

  . on a (bios up to date) P5Q3 ASUS motherboard

  . with snd_hda sound driver

Thanks.